1 a container; usually has a lid
2 the quantity contained in a bin [syn: binful]
3 an identification number consisting of a two-part code assigned to banks and savings associations; the first part shows the location and the second identifies the bank itself [syn: bank identification number, ABA transit number] v : store in bins [also: binning, binned]
container for rubbish
Etymology 2From (ben, bin).
Etymology 3Contraction of being
- Contraction of being
Etymology 4Contraction of been
- alternative form of been
- Alternate spelling for ibn, meaning "son of" when used in personal names.
- son (of)
Usage notesEnglish transcriptions of Chinese speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Chinese language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
EtymologyFrom (ben, bin, son).
- Indefinite plural of bi.
Besides its ordinary meaning as a kind of container, especially a dustbin, Bin can also refer to:
- Technical or specialised terms:
- /bin, a common Unix directory
- .bin, a CD disk image file format
- In mathematics, the histogram of a discrete variable that can acquire m different values is called an "m-bin histogram"
- In Computational Geometry, a Bin is a space partitioning data structure to enable fast region queries and nearest neighbor search.
- In video editing, a bin is a location, real or virtual, for storing media to be used in a production
- Sin Bin or Sin-bin, an informal name for a penalty box
BIN may refer to:
- Bank Identification Number
- BIN, a file extension for binary files
- BIN, a file extension for disk image format files
- Biology, information technology, and nanotechnology
- Bini language (ISO 639 alpha-3: bin), a Benue-Congo language spoken in Edo State, Nigeria
- Belgisch Instituut voor Normalisering/Institut Belge de Normalisation/Belgian Institute for Normalisation
- British India (FIFA country code: BIN), the portions of present-day India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Myanmar that were under British colonial rule
- "Buy It Now," a purchasing method on eBay
- BIN (supermarkets), a Russian supermarket
- Bank International Ningbo
- Badan Intelijen Negara, Indonesia's State Intelligence Agency
bin in German: Bin
bin in Esperanto: BIN
bin in French: BIN
bin in Italian: BIN
bin in Dutch: Bin
bin in Japanese: ビン (曖昧さ回避)
bin in Kölsch: BIN (Watt ėßß datt?)
archives, armory, arsenal, attic, bank, basement, bay, bonded warehouse, bookcase, box, bunker, buttery, cargo dock, cellar, chest, closet, conservatory, crate, crib, cupboard, depository, depot, dock, drawer, dump, exchequer, glory hole, godown, hold, hutch, library, locker, lumber room, lumberyard, magasin, magazine, rack, repertory, repository, reservoir, rick, shelf, stack, stack room, stock room, storage, store, storehouse, storeroom, supply base, supply depot, tank, treasure house, treasure room, treasury, vat, vault, warehouse, wine cellar